Leche Flan or Cremé caramel is a classic Filipino dessert that is enjoyed during festive occasions throughout the year. It is made mainly with eggyolks. Using whole eggs is fine but it’s not gonna be that rich unlike when yolks are used. You’ll need an oval shaped metal container (called llanera in tagalog). Loaf pans will suffice. The caramel topping being used is just a boiled brown sugar caramelized in a boiling water. This topping adds extra color, edge and sweetness to the flan.
The hardest part of baking cremé caramel is making its shape hold into place. It takes time and patience to make it perfect!
Things you need:
- 8 egg yolks
- 150 g of condensed milk
- 150 g of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of water
- Loaf pans or Llanera
- Aluminum foil for covering
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat until the you see no bubbles.
- Add the condensed and evaporated milkand whisk again until the mixture is completely dissolved. Lastly,add the vanilla extract. Adding lemon zest is optional.
- Preheat the oven for 350 degrees.
- Make the caramelized topping by boiling 3/4 cup of water into pan.
- Add brown sugar and mix until caramelized.
- Pour the caramelized brown sugar onto the loaf pan. Make sure it’s not too much nor too little. Recommended height is about 1 and 1/4 inch in a standard loaf pan or depends on loaf pan’s size.
- Add slowly the mixture of yolks into the loaf pan make sure they won’t mix.
- Cover them nicely with an aluminum foil.
- Bake them for 45 minutes under 350 degrees.
- Can be served warm or cold.